A trailer hitch lock is one of the easiest and least expensive ways to deter would-be thieves from taking off with your RV trailer. There are many different types of hitch locks, and it can be hard to choose the best one for you. That’s why we’re looking at five of the best locks to secure your RV.
Table of Contents
- What Is a Trailer Hitch Lock?
- Types of Locks
- The 5 Best Trailer Hitch Locks for Your RV
- Keep Your RV Protected from Theft with a Trailer Hitch Lock
What Is a Trailer Hitch Lock?
A trailer hitch lock is a lock for trailers. When you unhitch your trailer, this lock can protect it. Some locks secure your trailer to your tow vehicle, so theft can’t occur when you’re away.
Types of Locks
You have your choice of a couple of locks. Let’s take a closer look at each.
Use coupler locks after unhitching your trailer. These locks make it impossible for anyone else to hook your trailer up to their hitch.
Use a receiver lock when your trailer is attached to your tow vehicle. A receiver lock is used in place of a hitch pin to connect your trailer and tow vehicle, making it impossible for someone to remove your trailer without the key to the lock.
New to RV towing? We’ve got you covered! ➡ How to Tow an RV: The Beginner’s Guide
The 5 Best Trailer Hitch Locks for Your RV
We’ve rounded up five of the best locks for your RV. Whether you’re looking for a coupler lock, a receiver lock, or a combo pack with both, it’s all here. Different types of locks fit different trailers, but some are universal and work for almost any hitch.
1. REESE 72783 Universal Coupler Heavy-Duty Lock
About: The Reese Towpower Universal Coupler Lock is an adjustable lock that will fit most couplers. This lock guards against tow-away theft by connecting to the coupler, preventing someone else from hitching up to your trailer.
This premium lock is aluminum and has a heavy-duty steel lock bar. It’s easy to install and remove, making it an ideal choice for those on the go.
- DIMENSIONS: 9” x 9” x 3”
- BUILT TO LAST: The REESE Towpower Universal Coupler lock is a...
- UNIVERSAL FIT: Ratchet design is adjustable with 11 locking...
2. AMPLOCK U-BRP2516 RV/Trailer Coupler Lock
About: The AMPLOCK is a U-shaped coupler lock that fits two 5/16-inch couplers. This trailer hitch lock is rust-resistant and easy to use. The heavy-duty materials are near impossible to cut through. Yet, it still installs and uninstalls quickly and easily with the key.
- Molded to fit the specific shape of your trailer or Caravan (RV)...
- Materials used by AMPLOCK provide good rust resistance for use in...
- Easy to use with AMPLOCK’s push and lock system
3. Master Lock 389DAT Universal Size Trailer Lock
About: The Master Lock 389DAT is a universal coupler lock for trailer hitches. This lock fits virtually all trailer couplers, so no worrying about measuring! It comes in a bright red color to discourage would-be trailer thieves from messing with your trailer.
The Master Lock has an advanced locking mechanism that resists picking and prying. And no two Master Locks are keyed the same, which adds even more security.
- Universal coupler lock fits virtually all 1-7/8", 2", and 2-5/16"...
- This lock protects unattended trailers and guards against...
- Resists rust and corrosion. Simple installation and removal.
4. Master Lock 2866DAT Swivel Head Receiver Lock
About: This Master Lock is a receiver locking hitch pin that fits ½-inch and ⅝-inch receivers. The ½-inch lock is rated up to 3,500 pounds, and the ⅝-inch is rated up 10,000 pounds. The Master Lock receiver hitch lock comes with a snap-on cover to protect it from wind, rain, dust, dirt, and snow.
- Receiver lock provides added security and theft deterrence while...
- 1/2 in. trailer hitch locking pin is rated up to 3,500 lbs (Class...
- Locking head rotates 360 degrees allowing keyway to conveniently...
5. Master Lock Receiver and Coupler Lock Combo
The Master Lock trailer hitch combo lock comes with everything you need to keep your trailer secure, whether it’s hooked up to your tow vehicle, in storage, or at your campsite. The coupler lock can adjust to fit most trailer coupler sizes.
The receiver lock included in this combo has a convenient push-to-lock mechanism. This set comes with everything you need to keep your trailer secure.
- LOCK APPLICATION: Best used for vehicles, trailers, and RV hitch...
- EASE OF USE: Receiver lock features convenient Push to Lock...
- DURABLE DESIGN: Weather Tough seal and watertight cap provide...
Keep Your RV Protected from Theft with a Trailer Hitch Lock
Trailer hitch locks are one of the easiest and least expensive ways to deter RV trailer theft.
Keep your RV protected at all times by using both a coupler and receiver lock. Other methods you can use to deter RV theft include motion sensor lights, security cameras, parking in a well-lit area, alarms, high-security door locks, and wheel locks.
How do you protect your RV when you’re on the road? Drop a comment below.
Become A Mortons On The Move Insider
Join 7,000+ other adventurers to receive educating, entertaining, and inspiring articles about RV Travel Destinations, RV Gear, and Off-Grid Living to jump-start your adventures today!
Read More From The Mortons: