If you’ve ever longed to jump into a warm, cozy bed on a chilly winter night, a camping heated blanket needs to be top on your shopping list for RV accessories.
Table of contents
- What Are Electric Heated Blankets?
- Why Use Heated Blankets For Camping?
- How to Choose The Right One
- 7 Best Camping Heated Blankets for 2020
- Are Electric Heated Blankets Safe?
What Are Electric Heated Blankets?
It looks and behaves like any other blanket, with one exception: it has an electrical current running through it. Plug it in and adjust the temperature to your liking, and you’ll have your very own toasty bed.
Why Use Heated Blankets For Camping?
Comfort: If you camp in colder climates, a heated blanket is the perfect accessory to keep you warm when the thermometer dips below freezing or when you just want to take the chill off.
- For the perfect night’s rest, heat up a cold bed 15 minutes before climbing in.
- If sitting by the campfire, use an extension cord or a battery-operated blanket to warm the sides of your body that a campfire can’t reach!
- Even watching a little late-night TV is more comfortable, when you use a heated blanket.
Save Energy: You can set the furnace on a lower temperature and still stay cozy with a heated blanket, saving you energy by warming up your bed and not the whole RV.
- Depending on the heat setting and the number of hours used, a typical electric blanket can consume up to 200 watts of power an hour, or about 2 kilowatt-hours a day (for 10 hours’ use). In contrast, an RV heater uses approximately 20 kilowatt-hours a day.
How to Choose The Right One
Power Source: Most blankets are AC-powered, but there are also battery-operated electric blankets available. Several models of “throws” (smaller blankets to throw over your legs while sitting) even have a 12-volt plug for use in autos and RVs. That is to say, you will have to decide which model is best for you.
Materials: Camping heated blankets are made from a variety of materials including polyester plush, fleece, and wool.
Machine Washable: Many heated blankets advertise that they are machine washable. Yet, the electrical components of the blanket don’t hold up well to many washings. Instead, try spot-cleaning them to keep the electrical components in good shape.
Controls: Some smaller heated blankets offer single controls that will heat the entire blanket. On the other hand, larger sizes like the queen or king models have dual controls, allowing you and your partner to choose the amount of heat on each half of the blanket. Usually, these controls have several levels of heat from which to choose.
Auto-Off: A nice comfort and safety factor is an automatic-off feature that turns the blanket off after 8 to 10 hours of use. Some heated “throws,” intended for use while sitting on a sofa or chair, even have a 4-hour auto turn off choice.
7 Best Camping Heated Blankets for 2020
Still need help deciding? Here are our top picks for heated blankets in 2020:
MaxKare Electric Blanket
The MaxKare Electric Blanket Heated Throw is not a large blanket that will fit on your bed, but it is a deliciously soft and comfortable throw. It measures 50” x 60” and will make lounging on the sofa a warm experience! One side is flannel and the other is velveteen.
Sunbeam Heated Blanket
The Sunbeam Heated Blanket is queen-sized, so is perfect on any size bed. Additionally, it has a preheat function to warm the bed before you slide into it. Made of 100% polyester plush fabric, this blanket is deliciously comfy cozy!
*Bonus: We’ve personally used this one for wrapping up outdoors on a chilly night. It’s large enough to wrap your entire body up in. All you need is an extension cord and a power source!
- ComfortTec Controller with digital display and push button...
- Pre-heat feature warms cold sheets before bedtime
- 10 heat settings and 10 hour auto-off function
VIPEX Electric Throw
The VIPEX Heated Blanket Electric Throw has 3 timer settings to turn off your flannel throw, with temperature settings that run from 68 to 122 degrees.
Sojoy 12V Travel Blanket
Plug the Sojoy 12V Heated Smart Multifunctional Travel Electric Blanket into a 12-volt plug and wrap yourself in warmth. This fleece throw measures 40” x 60”. Moreover, it has a 30, 45 and 60 minute auto-off function.
Stalwart Electric Car Blanket
The Stalwart Electric Car Blanket has a 12-volt plug created for use in cars and RVs. Measuring 59” x 40”, this throw will keep your legs warm and has a long cord to reach even the back seat.
- CAR ADAPTABLE- This soft 12-volt electric blanket plugs into any...
- LONG CORD- Equipped with a 96-inch-long cord, even passengers in...
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND WARM-This lightweight auto blanket has thin wire...
Cozee Battery-Operated Heated Blanket
The Cozee – Battery Operated Heated Blanket has a rechargeable battery pack, so you can take the blanket anywhere! Unfortunately, it does take about 45 minutes to fully heat up, but the throw will put off the heat for 5 to 6 hours. This makes it great for tent camping or as a wrap at the football game!
- ♨️ Give the gift of instant warmth for that person in your...
- 🏅 Never again freeze on the sidelines watching your kids. This...
- 🏕️ Take road trips and camping to a new level of comfort...
Sunbeam Heated Mattress Pad
The Sunbeam Heated Mattress Pad is another great option to pre-heat the bed! Heated mattress pads reside more permanently underneath your fitted sheet at the foot of the bed. Just turn it on a while before bedtime and enjoy crawling into nice warm sheets and mattress! Say goodbye to icy bedtime feet and hello to a cozy night’s sleep.
- Heated mattress pad offers soothing warmth throughout the night
- ThermoFine technology delivers consistent, evenly distributed...
- 10 heat settings for the perfect amount of warmth
Are Electric Heated Blankets Safe?
Today’s camping heated blankets are safe. However, if you are using an old or damaged blanket, there could be a fire risk. Over time, the electrical wiring can become worn or damaged. In short, upgrade to a new blanket or throw with an auto-off feature to avoid overheating and to save energy.
You will find that winter chill is definitely easier to face with an electric blanket in your toolkit!
Become A Mortons On The Move Insider
Join 7,000+ other adventurers to receive educating, entertaining, and inspiring articles about RV Travel Destinations, RV Gear, and Off-Grid Living to jump-start your adventures today!
Read More from the Mortons: