Traveling with dogs brings happiness to both you and your pets. They love being near you and in the great outdoors. You love watching their smiling faces and sniffing noses. But without the proper dog camping gear, your trip might end in disaster! Check out the seven essential items below to add to your packing list.
Table of Contents
- What Should I Bring Camping for My Dog?
- 7 Essential Dog Camping Gear Items You Can’t Forget
- How Do I Keep My Dog Entertained While Camping?
- Making Memories with Your Dog
What Should I Bring Camping for My Dog?
This question is different for everyone. Some people will want a pet monitoring system if they’re gone for several hours every day. Some will want dog goggles if camping often in high altitudes or at the beach.
But there are some essential dog camping gear items you’ll want to make sure you pack no matter how or where you travel. You want your precious pet to be protected, safe, comfortable, and happy! So don’t forget these items!
7 Essential Dog Camping Gear Items You Can’t Forget
The suggestions below will make travel easier and more enjoyable for you and your furry friends. Plus, several of these items will keep your dog safe and could even save its life!
1. Collapsible Food and Water Bowls
Durable, lightweight, waterproof, easy to clean–these are the words you look for when purchasing camping gear. Some collapsible bowls aren’t sturdy enough to stand and hold water, but these do the trick!
The loops make the bowls easy to attach to a bag with a carabiner, so they’re great for hiking. And the food bag is big enough for 25 cups of dog food. Specific dimensions are 8in x 19in for the food storage bag and 7.5in x 4.5in for the water bowls.
- 🐶ESSENTIAL FOR OUTDOOR: ★Not for Long-term Water Storage★...
- 🐶5L LARGE CAPACITY FOOD BAG: The bag keeps food dry and...
- 🐶DURABLE & LIGHTWEIGHT: We used oxford cloth and waterproof,...
Note: These are for medium to large dogs, so smaller dogs may have difficulty getting their head over the bowls to eat and drink.
2. Dog Camping Bed
A comfortable camping bed is a must for your dog’s camping gear list. Water-resistant and easy to clean, this camping bed has a loop to hang dry. Its dimensions are 39in x 30in providing plenty of comfortable space for your pet.
Similar to a sleeping bag, it has two different fabrics and rolls up nicely. You’ll be surprised at how plush this compact camping bed is.
- Portable Dog Bed: Travel dog bed keeps pets comfortable during...
- Dog Beds: Pets can feel at home both in the house & on-the-go...
- Chuckit! Fetch Toys: Chuckit! creates toys that enrich the...
➡ If your pup prefers to be up off the ground, check out these elevated dog chairs instead: Best Dog Camping Chairs for Outdoor Canine Comfort
3. Light-Up Collar
Keep your dog safe! There are always vehicles driving about the campground, and at night, it can be very difficult to see someone out walking his/her dog. Sometimes, we think to put on a bright jacket or maybe we have a reflective vest to help drivers notice us, but what about our furry friend?
This LED dog collar has a rechargeable battery that will last multiple walks. It’s available in six sizes and colors.
- SAVE YOUR DOG’S LIFE – this collar will save your dog’s...
- HIGHEST VISIBILITY – unlike others, our LED dog collars provide...
- RECHARGEABLE BATTERY THAT LASTS MULTIPLE WALKS – the USB...
Note: These collars run big, so take that into consideration when purchasing. You might need to size down for your pet.
4. Pet First Aid Kit
The pouch is 4in x 6in with 100 pieces that include a pet thermometer and tick remover. Rated “Amazon’s Choice” for pet first-aid kits, it’s a great addition to your dog camping gear. Because everything is in transparent pouches, it’s easy to see what you need to grab without all of the items spilling out.
This is one of those items you hope to never use but need to have to keep your dog safe.
- NEVER WORRY ABOUT YOUR PET’S SAFETY AGAIN: Keep your mind at...
- THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE, 100-PIECE PET CARE OPTION WITH MORE: On...
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND BUILT TO LAST: This amazingly light bag is made...
More Pet-Friendly RV Articles You’ll Enjoy:
- 5 Best RV Dog Ramps for Easy Camper Entry and Exit
- Do Any National Parks Allow Dogs?
- RV Cat Litter Box Dilemma: Where Do You Put It?
5. Dog Boots
We go shopping for quality, sturdy protective footwear for ourselves, but what about our pets? These rubber-soled dog boots are trail-ready!
Rugged, yet breathable, these dog boots will give your pet traction and flexibility on those long hikes through rough terrain. When adding items to your dog camping gear, don’t leave out these Ruffwear outdoor boots!
- Trail-ready boots: Protect their paws from whatever the trail...
- Rugged outsole: Vibram non-marking outsoles with rugged lug...
- Breathable mesh: Made with tightly woven air mesh that keeps dirt...
6. GPS Tracking Device
Another safety item to add to your dog camping gear is a tracking device. It requires a subscription and wi-fi connection, so read the instructions carefully if you’ve never used one of these GPS tools before.
After marking an area of safe space, you’ll be alerted if your pet leaves that location. This is definitely an item to consider if you have a dog that likes to wander off.
- Subscription required. Covers connection to AT&T 4G LTE-M network...
- Location Tracking. Set up alerts and quickly locate your pet,...
- Health, Nutrition, & Activity Tracking. Monitor activity levels,...
Pro Tip: Having your dog wander off can be scary. Trust us, our dog Bella wandered away a few years ago, and it felt awful. Fortunately, we got her back! Here’s how: Lost a Dog While RVing? Here’s How To Find Them.
7. Car Seat Cover
This non-slip seat cover keeps your car clean and provides a comfortable traveling experience for your pet. Its 4-in-1 design allows you to place it wherever you need to (back seat, front seat, cargo area, etc.) so your pet is safe and cozy.
A mesh window helps dogs who might have anxiety, and you’ll appreciate the storage pocket. Plus, it’s waterproof and durable, and reviewers note that it’s easy to clean and install.
How Do I Keep My Dog Entertained While Camping?
Above are the essentials to keep your dog comfortable and safe, but your dog probably wants to have some fun, too! Pack your furry friend’s favorite toys, and play with them often. Many campgrounds have dog parks where you can play fetch and let your dog run around freely, too.
➡ These RV parks put dogs first! Take a look: Top 10 RV Parks to Go Camping With Your Dog
Bring tie-outs or a portable dog fence so your pet can be outside with you at the campsite. Most campgrounds require dogs to be on a leash at all times, so having a tie-out or portable fence allows your dog to enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells of nature!
Making Memories with Your Dog
So many of us travel with pets–they’re part of the family! But there are items you’ll want to have on hand in your dog camping gear stash to keep your precious pets safe, comfortable, and happy.
The last thing you want to happen is an emergency vet visit or a midnight trek through the campground trying to find your lost dog. Think about what your dog needs to enjoy their camping experience as much as you enjoy yours.
What would you add to your dog camping gear list? Drop a comment below.
Become A Mortons On The Move Insider
Join 7,000+ other adventurers to receive educating, entertaining, and inspiring articles about RV Travel Destinations, RV Gear, and Off-Grid Living to jump-start your adventures today!
Read More From The Mortons: