Proper truck bed storage for daily chores or road trips can be a game-changer. You no longer have to worry about your gear or groceries rolling around in your truck bed. This article explores ways for truck owners to stay organized and maximize truck bed space. And you’ll find eight of the best storage solutions available.
How Do I Store Things in My Truck Bed?
Organization in your truck bed might seem like a puzzle without the right storage system. Without it, items in your truck bed can roll around, scrape the bed, and either cause damage or be damaged. Not to mention, they will often be exposed to weather elements of water, snow, and wind.
Holding things in place and making them easy to get to can be a big help to anyone who uses their truck to store tools and gear. You can find durable storage systems on the market in various shapes and sizes. But choosing the right setup for your truck can feel daunting, so we’ve put together some tips to get you started.
Table of contents
- How Do I Store Things in My Truck Bed?
- How Do I Maximize My Truck Bed Space?
- 9 Best Truck Bed Storage Solutions for Staying Organized
- 1. UnderCover SwingCase Truck Bed Storage Box
- 2. TruXedo TruXport Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Cover
- 3. Red Hound Auto Truck Bed Storage Cargo Organizer
- 4. Keeper 05060 Ratcheting Cargo Bar with Storage Net
- 5. Heininger 4016 HitchMate Cargo Stabilizer Bar for Full-Size Trucks
- 6. Dee Zee DZ8546B Red Label Utility Chest
- 7. Loading Zone LZCG1302 Cargo Gate Truck Bed Divider
- 8. Weather Guard Truck/Van Steel Storage Drawer
- 9. Gladiator Cargo Net
- Which Storage Solution Works Best for You?
How Do I Maximize My Truck Bed Space?
Odd shapes and small items can make organization difficult. You don’t want to bury important smaller things in hard-to-reach places. Check out these six ways to maximize your truck bed storage space.
Many people use truck toolboxes to organize supplies in a truck bed. They come in different sizes and can have a low profile or stick out higher than the truck bed sides. If you want a toolbox, look for one that fits your truck’s brand and model.
Cargo Stabilizer Bars and Dividers
Cargo stabilizer bars and dividers make for a simple way to organize your truck bed. The cargo bar connects to the sides of the bed.
Additionally, you can hang a cargo net from the stabilizer bars or section off items in the truck bed with a divider. This will keep your things separate and from sliding around.
A tonneau cover protects the top of the truck bed. Soft tonneau covers have vinyl materials, while hard versions have aluminum, fiberglass, or hard plastics. The cover keeps water and dirt out of your truck bed.
This is one of the most basic forms of truck bed organization. By simply covering it, you can now easily store items in your truck bed safely without worrying about weather or theft. We recommend using a tonneau cover in conjunction with other forms of truck bed storage.
Pro Tip: Want to know more about what truck cover we think is best? Find out more about This Tonneau Cover Has Lasted Us 7 Years: TruXedo Review.
Truck Bed Storage Pockets
Truck bed storage pockets are small compartments attached to the side walls. The pockets allow you to store tools or gear in easy-to-reach compartments. Plus, it keeps items from rolling around in the truck bed.
Overhead Truck Racks
An overhead truck rack sits above the bed for large and long items. It also clears the truck’s cab, so nothing hits the back window. Additionally, a truck rack provides extra storage above so you can store more things in the bed.
Truck drawers are boxes in the truck bed with rollers. They come in a variety of sizes. You can use them to store items for easy access when you pull the drawer out. Additionally, they allow you to still use the large space of the bed to haul larger items without impeding your drawer access.
9 Best Truck Bed Storage Solutions for Staying Organized
We have reviewed some of the organization tools you can use for your truck bed. Now, look at the eight best storage solutions. These items will help you keep things organized and get the best use out of your truck bed.
1. UnderCover SwingCase Truck Bed Storage Box
About: The UnderCover SwingCase is a storage solution that swings out 180 degrees from the wheel well to the tailgate. It also sits 3 inches under the top of the truck bed, so you can also use a tonneau cover.
- Fits 2007 - 2019 Chevy/GMC Silverado/Sierra 2500/3500HD Drivers...
- TRUCK BED COVER COMPATIBLE ; The UnderCover SwingCase maintains a...
- ULTIMATE ACCESSIBILITY ; This toolbox swings out nearly 180°...
The storage box has a lockable lid and can hold up to 75 lbs of gear. In addition, it has an organization tray and a moisture seal to keep it dry inside.
2. TruXedo TruXport Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Cover
About: The TruXedo TruXport Soft Roll Up Tonneau Cover has a heavy-duty 1.5-inch frame and leather-embossed vinyl. It easily rolls up when unlocked from the tailgate latches.
- Fits 2009 - 2018, 2019-20 Classic Dodge Ram 1500, 2010-21...
- UNBELIEVABLY FUNCTIONAL | TruXport is designed to be...
- STAND GUARD AGAINST WEATHER | Keep your cargo dry and secure...
Its pre-set tarp tension keeps the cover tight and waterproof. And it’s easy to install by clamping to the truck bed rails without any drilling required. It is compatible with many other forms of storage mechanisms as long as they don’t require over-the-side installation or stick up above the bed rails.
3. Red Hound Auto Truck Bed Storage Cargo Organizer
About: Red Hound’s Auto Truck Bed Storage Cargo Organizer can fit most full-size trucks. This rear truck bed storage box allows you to reach items easily from your open tailgate. You don’t need any tools for installation as it simply has an adjustable bar and quick release system.
- Versatile storage solution, with an adjustable secure fit for...
- Keep your cargo neatly organized and accessible, within easy...
- Extremely easy, quick and tool-free installation and removal,...
This cargo box is waterproof and easily washable. It’s great for holding groceries in place during transportation, gear for any recreational activity, or you can even fill it up with ice for a temporary tailgate cooler.
4. Keeper 05060 Ratcheting Cargo Bar with Storage Net
About: The Keeper 05060 Ratcheting Cargo Bar with Storage Net adjusts from 40 to 70 inches long. It has large rubber grip pads and is skid-resistant. You can easily adhere the cargo bar to the sides of the truck bed and hang the cargo net from it.
- Cargo Safety: Keeper’s Ratcheting Cargo Bar is the perfect...
- Security: Keeping your items safe is a necessity whether you’re...
- Versatile: Expands from 40 in. to 70 in. length to fit all modern...
The cargo net is a versatile solution that holds anything, no matter its shape. From soccer and footballs to lawn chairs and tool bags, they’ll be held securely in place. This moveable bar can also be placed anywhere in the truck bed, meaning it can hold large, bulky items like suitcases, appliances, and more up against the front of the bed during transport.
Pro Tip: Organize your truck bed with these 7 Best Low Profile Truck Tool Boxes for Increased Visibility.
5. Heininger 4016 HitchMate Cargo Stabilizer Bar for Full-Size Trucks
About: The Heininger 4016 HitchMate Cargo Stabilizer Bar serves as a divider from large items in a truck bed. You can also use it to hang a cargo net, similar to the Keeper Cargo Bar. This stabilizer bar has a heavy-duty ratcheting system that adjusts easily and ensures your gear stays in place.
- Fits full size pickup trucks (expandable from 59" to 73")
- Simple, commercial-grade solution to containing your loose cargo
- Heavy-Duty ratcheting system adjusts easily
If you don’t need a net, like in solution #4, this is a simple and easy solution. Keep shop vacuums, garbage cans, propane cylinders, and more upright and unmoving as you go down the road.
6. Dee Zee DZ8546B Red Label Utility Chest
About: The Dee Zee DZ8546B 46” Red Label Utility Chest is a great option for truck bed storage. It has non-rusting Brite-Tread aluminum with a protective glass black powder coat finish. The chest has side handles and a lockable handle latch.
- Non-Rusting 0.056 Brite-Tread Aluminum
- Protective Gloss Black Powder Coat Finish
- Side Handles For Easy Portability
This multi-use chest can be used as a low profile toolbox that can fit under a tonneau cover. It can also be used for moving anything that you need to keep out of the elements.
7. Loading Zone LZCG1302 Cargo Gate Truck Bed Divider
About: The Loading Zone Cargo Gate divider fits from the truck bed floor to the top of the sides. This makes for the perfect organizer for various-sized items. You can easily mount and adjust it without hardware. The divider has anodized aluminum tubes and heavy-duty nylon.
- View Fitment Guide in Product Description Below.
- Works with most top mounted tonneau covers. View Tonneau...
- Constructed from anodized aluminum tubes, stainless steel...
This is a fancier option that a simple cargo bar, and more firm than a cargo net. By using a gate, shorter items will be sure to stay put even on rough roads.
8. Weather Guard Truck/Van Steel Storage Drawer
About: Weather Guard’s Truck Storage Drawer has a steel construction. It has one drawer with four shelves and twenty-four dividers.
- Mpn: 338-5
- Country of manufacture: United States
- Manufacturer: Weather Guard
The entire product measures 48” wide by 12.375” high by 39.625” deep. The height and durable structure also allow you to set things on top of the drawer.
At a much higher price tag, these drawers are for those in serious need of a cargo solution that gives tons of organization and space while preserving the entire area of the bed for hauling.
9. Gladiator Cargo Net
The Gladiator Cargo Net is a simple yet effective way to make sure everything in your truck bed stays put. It’s durable enough for heavy-duty and odd-shaped loads as well as certified for 1,500lbs of load.
- Truck Cargo Net made for heavy duty use. Multiple attachment...
- Integrated webbing and mesh prevents snags and secures small...
- Durable, high strength, weatherproofed materials. Easy to use.
The cargo net comes in several size options to fit your truck bed and your load needs, with sizes from Small to XXLarge. It has many attachment points to customize how it’s held down in your bed and uses rip-stop meshing to last for years. Forget the ropes and tarps and opt for a durable, weatherproof cargo net instead.
Which Storage Solution Works Best for You?
Which of these truck bed storage solutions is right for you? Whether you want something budget-friendly or ready to invest in a steel storage drawer for your truck, you’ll find convenient options for truck bed organization. Keeping everything in its place can help ease your daily tasks and road trips.
Which storage solution caught your eye? Tell us in the comments below!
Become A Mortons On The Move Insider
Join 10,000+ other adventurers to receive educating, entertaining, and inspiring articles about RV Travel Destinations, RV Gear, and Off-Grid Living to jump-start your adventures today!
Read More From The Mortons: